Sunday, March 6, 2016

London Transport Museum

A few weeks ago I went to the London Transport Museum with my friends Mary, Pamela, and Kate.  I love public transportation and museums with great gift shops, so this was a great combination for me. 

The museum starts off in 19th century London when it was fashionable for the wealthy to travel by horse-drawn cabs. The idea of horse-drawn buses (below right) came from this and those were replaced by horse-drawn trams (below left). 

I love the design on this original bus ticket. So much lovelier than our current Oyster transport card. 

The world's first underground railway opened in London in January 1863 between Paddington and Farringdon (a route Warren is very familiar with). The original trains for the underground were steam powered and the carriages were gas lit. Not as comfortable as our current system of electric trains where some lines even have air conditioning! The London Underground used to have their publicity posters made by established and up-and-coming artists. These ones below were some of my favorites on display. 
It seems the tube has been a place to advertise for a long time now. I love reading the current ads while I commute around the city but this old ad was too good to not take a photo. I also loved seeing the old tube map in the model carriage. 

The museum had a live bus map projection showing the different routes around the city. It was fun to find the bus I take most often and watch it go around my neighborhood and beyond. 

After finishing at the London Transport Museum we went to lunch at Meat Market. Since there were four of us we were able to try several sides including the fried macaroni and cheese, onion rings, and fries. Everyone loved the food (which is lucky for me because Meat Market is one of my favorites). 
Another successful day out in the city! I loved the London Transport Museum, and their 2 for 1 voucher through Days Out Guide made it more affordable, leaving more money to spend on the delicious lunch. 

1 comment:

  1. Everything looks great. Who'd have thought a transport museum could be so interesting? Not me!

    ReplyDelete