Monday, April 25, 2016

Queen's English as a Second Language Part 12

Toilet/WC/Ladies--restroom/bathroom, as in "Where is the ladies?" or "I need to use the toilet." 

Flyover--overpass, as in "The traffic on the flyover is always packed."

Lush--great/amazing, as in "I had the most lush milkshake last week."

Kind regards--way to end an email or letter. In the US I typically signed my emails "Thanks, Rachael" but here I use "Kind Regards," "Best," or "Best Regards"

Parcel--package, as in "When is the parcel expected to arrive?"

Single File Traffic--one land road, as in "Harrow Road is single file traffic due to construction."

Fab--short for fabulous, as in "I saw the most fab skirt on Oxford Street today" or "You must try the ice cream at Udderlicious. It's fab!"

Treacle (specifically black treacle)--molasses, as in "I don't care for the taste of treacle."

Ring--call, as in "I'll ring you later."

Bloody--mild swear word to add emphasis, as in "fan-bloody-tastic," "bloody good idea," or "I can't see a bloody thing!"

Tick--check, as in "I ticked so many boxes today."

Overtaking--passing, as in "Be careful when overtaking other motorists on the motorway."

Post/Postbox--mail/mailboxes, as in "Has the post come yet?" or "I need to run this to the postbox."

Landslip--landslide, as in "The trains are backed up due to the land slip."

Scoff--scarf or stuff your face, as in "I scoffed an entire package of Jaffa cakes last night."

Where to start on this one...I'll just say that if this were in the US it would be called something like, "I must color now"

Posh--sophisticated, as in "I don't know any posh words" or "Wow, this new routemaster is so posh."
Air con/air co--a/c, as in "I love the Circle line mostly for the air con."

Oh crumbs--exclamation of surprise or worry, as in "Oh crumbs! I spilled on my trousers."

Whilst--while, as in "I finished reading my book whilst waiting for you."

Chips--fries, as in "I'll have a burger with a side of chips."

Twat--a vulgar term for idiot, as in "[insert disliked politician's name] is a real twat."

Splendid--wonderful, as in "The show last night was splendid!"

Fit--hot, as in "His mate is well fit."

Bap--roll (typically filled like a sandwich), as in "I love a bacon bap."

Roleplay--dress up, as in "I've heard roleplay games are essential to children's development."
I apologize this photo is blurry, it is off an escalator and I tried so many times to get a clearer picture with no success

Chambermaid--housekeeper, as in "You have a chambermaid? How posh!"

Tatties--potatoes (I think this is from Scotland), as in "My mum makes the best tatties."

Pay point--register, as in "There is a huge queue at the pay point."

Surgery--one-on-one meeting with politician and constituents (not to be confused with surgical theatre at a hospital)


Toastie--grilled cheese/panini, as in "I want a cheese toastie at Borough Market for lunch."

1 comment:

  1. So that's why they booted that MP out of Parliament! He called another MP a 'twat' and refused to take it back/apologize. I wondered what the big deal was...now I know. =)

    ReplyDelete