Monday, November 9, 2015

Americans And Their Peanut Butter

I love a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, especially with crunchy peanut butter. Peanut butter is something you can find in almost any grocery store in London, but typically just one brand and usually just creamy. So I sort of stopped eating very much peanut butter. Over the last year I kind of forgot about all the peanut butter that is available in America. Peanut Butter & Co make really fancy peanut butters. They have a chocolate one, honey blend, and even cinnamon and raisin.

I'm not even going to go into how many candies America has with chocolate and peanut butter, but I did find this milk inspired by Reese's. I'm pretty sure it is seasonal for Halloween but I bet there would be demand for it year round. 

Peanut butter and jelly is a staple in the American diet. Some companies have even done the hard part for us and combined them already. I saw pre-mixed jars of PB&J, fruit snacks, pop tarts, and frozen pre-made sandwiches, crust removed of course. 

What better way to start your day than with peanut butter cereal? I grew up with Cap'n Crunch's Peanut Butter Crunch as a special treat. That stuff is amazing. 

We also love us some peanut flavored granola and breakfast bars. 

I'm not sure why it took so long for Pop Tarts to start a peanut butter line but I've heard good reviews from friends about these. I've seen the peanut butter ones in the American section at Partridge's in London but they are pretty expensive. Too bad I didn't have room in my suitcase. 

And who could forget about dessert? (Remember that those chocolate and peanut butter Pop Tarts are for breakfast.) I saw several kinds of peanut butter refrigerated cookie dough in addition to regular peanut butter cookies (peanut butter Oreos not pictured). A classic American cookie is a Peanut Butter Kiss, where you bake a peanut butter cookie, then press a Hershey Kiss on top while it is still warm, see bottom right for image. 

If you aren't in the mood for a delicious peanut butter cookie, maybe some ice cream is a good match for you. I found all these varieties in just one store without even trying very hard. It is amazing how much we love our peanut butter!

1 comment:

  1. You're your mother's daughter that's for sure; my fave is crunchy peanut butter for my pb&j sandwiches too. I can eat it by the spoonful out of the container but put it in a cookie or something else (other than Reese's) and it doesn't excite me that much. How weird is that?

    ReplyDelete