Monday, January 25, 2016

Panoramic Group Photos

I often find it a dilemma on how to take a group photo on a trip. The issue is either that I'm not in the mood to ask a stranger, I'm afraid my iPhone will get stolen, there is a communication issue, or there isn't anyone around to ask. For the last few months I've been working on perfecting the panoramic group photo.

There is a Pano feature under the camera settings on more recent iPhones and iPads (or I'm sure there is an app that can be downloaded). The way I set it up is to have the group stand in the normal line with one space open at the end for the photographer. Then start the pano and when you get to the person in the middle stop moving and keep the phone as still as possible. The person standing in the first position leaves the group and takes the phone from the photographer. Then the original photographer walks behind the group and takes their place in the photo at the end of the line. The second photographer continues with the pano like normal. 

After several failed attempts at doing a pano group photo I've learned a few strategies. Stand in the middle of your subject matter (if you have five people, stand lined up with the third person--include yourself in this count) or if there is a building or statue you want as a focal piece, square yourself with it. 

Another tip is to consider the height of the tallest piece of your subject matter (I cut off the top of Highclere Castle in the first photo but kept our feet in full view). 

The biggest thing is to try hard not to shake the phone because that will end the pano. It can be difficult but with some practice you can do some really fun things with your photos! My brother-in-law orchestrated my favorite pano in the photo below. My sister and I alternated letters in the 'I amsterdam' sign one morning before all the tourists arrived. This is our pinnacle pano photo, but I'd love to be upstaged by a clever reader.

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, Rae, your panos are awesome! Love the Amsterdam one but the Iceland one you took last year was hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got here much interesting stuff. The post is great! Thanks for sharing it! Waffles Leicester

    ReplyDelete