Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Queen's English As A Second Language Part 11

Push the boat out--splurge, as in "I think we can push the boat out and have champagne tonight."

Buckets--a lot, as in "I cried buckets when Matthew left the show."

Way out--exit (used in the Underground)

Flatmate--roommate. In America we use the term roommate regardless of whether you share an actual room, a flat, or a house. 

Pies--meat pies, not sweet
Savouries--salty snacks

Fire Brigade--Fire Department

This is one about pronunciation. If you said this in an American accent, it doesn't have the same cute meaning. It is said more like "tuh-may-dohs" instead of "tow-mah-toes".

I know I've done both "carrier bags" and "rubbish" in earlier posts but I thought this bag was cute. A carrier bag is a plastic bag and rubbish means bad.

Partner--significant other, as in "Remind me your partner's name..." In England they use the term "partner" to cover any situation including spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend (long or short term). In the US I wouldn't have called Warren my partner but I do here. 

Brilliant--a term to describe anything, including a way to agree. As in "If you follow me I'll show you to your table." "Brilliant." Or "Just enter your pin now." "Brilliant." This photo is a screenshot from a time I had to accept new terms and conditions for an app. 


Nan and Grandad--Grandma and Grandpa, as in "My grandad just turned 90!"

Half Term--school holiday or spring/winter break, as in "Why is the bus so crowded? Is it half term already?"

Car Park--parking lot, as in "It took me ages to find the car in the car park!" Also note "High Street". I've done that one before, but it means the main street with shops.

Swish--fashionable or posh, as in "We went to a swish hotel for our anniversary dinner."

Tipple--an alcoholic drink, as in "Sherry is her favourite tipple."

Jelly--gelatin as in "My mom always put oranges in the jelly when I was a kid." Jelly in America is a fruit spread similar to jam but a bit thicker. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are very popular there. 

The face you pull--the face you make, as in "She pulled a face when I told her I didn't want to go."

Faff--waste time, as in "We can't faff around forever!"

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! Did you notice the one I took at your house? ;)

      Delete
  2. I have found that this site is very informative, interesting and very well written. keep up the nice high quality writing. Waffles Leicester

    ReplyDelete