Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Things I Miss About America

I haven't struggled too much with homesickness while living abroad, but there are a few things I miss about living in the US. 

I've had "American style" pancakes at several places in London but they are missing some pretty key elements: size, heaping amounts of butter, and endless fake syrup. I do like the British way of putting jam and whipped cream on pancakes but nothing hits the spot quite like real American pancakes. 

One thing I miss that I can't find here is American sprinkles. The UK has 'hundreds and thousands' but they are a crunchy version of sprinkles. I miss soft sprinkles that are super colorful and get stuck in the grooves of your teeth. 

Also, Mexican food in America is wonderful. Cheese smothered enchiladas, fried tacos, and large portions of beans and rice. Mmmm, delicious. 

Americans love giant glasses of ice-cold water. We love ice in almost all our drinks, in fact. What I wouldn't give for a Route 44 Cherry Coke from Sonic right now. Crushed ice is the best of the best, in my opinion. 

After you've consumed 44 ounces of soda, you are going to be in desperate need for a "pit stop." I definitely miss how many places offer free toilets to the public. Gas (petrol) stations, grocery stores, rest stops along the highway...the list goes on and on. 

I miss grape Tootsie Roll Pops, still and sparkling juices, fruit snacks, and everything else grape. Grape flavored foods aren't really a thing in London. Purple Skittles and Starburst are black currant flavored and there is also black currant juice but it just isn't a good substitute for grape. 

One thing I don't miss about my life before London is driving. I hate driving, keeping up with the maintenance, filling up with fuel (petrol), washing the windshield (windscreen), and did I mention the actual driving? Even with all its faults, I love public transportation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment