Saturday, July 9, 2016

Queen's English as a Second Language Part 13

Bric-a-Brac--miscellaneous, as in "we pay 39 pence a kg for your bric-a-brac donations"

Trainers--sneakers, as in "I ruined my new trainers in the mud yesterday."

rather clever--very smart, as in "You think you're rather clever, don't you?"

Holiday--vacation, as in "Where are you going on holiday this summer?" This can be abbreviated to "hols" as in "I went there last year on hols." 

Bloke--guy, as in "I met a bloke from Bristol in the pub." Bloke is used when talking about someone and not to someone. So you wouldn't say "What's up blokes?"

University--college, as in "Where did you go to university?" This is also abbreviated "uni" (pronounced you-knee) as in "I haven't done that since uni." 

Buy-to-let--the purchase of a property specifically to rent it out

This next one is about grammar. In the US, we would say "KLM is offering" but in Queen's English KLM is seen as a group and therefore a plural. So they say "KLM are offering..." However, I have heard people use it either way, even the same person may flip back and forth. 

Regaine--Rogaine (I think Regaine is a better name considering the purpose of the product)

Give it some welly--give it some energy. "Put your back into it" is a phrase common in the US that essentially means the same thing.

Proper fond--really like, as in "I'm proper fond of these chips."

Getting on/getting on a bit--getting old, as in "My parents need more help as they're getting on a bit now." 

Bill sticker--someone who puts up notices or adverts. 

Dead--very, as in "He is dead sexy." It's common in the US to say "I'm dead serious" but that's about it.

1 comment: