Saturday, May 23, 2015

From the Cupboard

Britain offers so many delicious packaged foods. I got together with some friends and we all brought some of our favourite snack foods for a taste test. Here were the results. 

Sweet Snacks

Fox's Jam 'n Cream Biscuits--two shortcake cookies filled with raspberry jam and vanilla creme
Pamela: "Reminds me of that short lived Girl Scout cookie."
Sara: "Too much shortbread."
Kate: "These are a staple in our house."

Cadbury Fingers--crunchy shortbread biscuit (cookie) covered in milk chocolate
Rachael: "Like a Twix without caramel."
Sara: "This could be a straw in a fancy hot chocolate."
Mary: "I feel like there is just a little too much chocolate."
Pamela: "I like them!"

Orange Penguins--milk chocolate covered biscuit (cookie) bars filled with orange flavour chocolate creme. 
Pamela: "I like when things are individually packaged,"
Mary: "My grandma would like this."
Kate: "Smells like a Creamsicle. I like the texture and crunch but not the orange. I would probably like the plain chocolate ones."
Sara: "I wouldn't eat a second one, but I like it enough to finish it."
Rachael: "I love these things."

Carmel Digestives--wheatmeal biscuits with chocolate covered caramel
Pamela: "I find the texture to be soggy."
Mary: "I really like the gooeyness." 
Kate: "I'm a fan."
Sara: "I don't like the texture together. But obviously I don't hate them."
Rachael: "These are Warren's favourites. I have to be in the right mood for them."

Dark Chocolate Digestives--wheatmeal biscuits covered in dark chocolate
Pamela: "These are a staple in our house. And they don't last very long."
Rachael: "The crispiness is amazing. But I don't like the dark chocolate."
Kate: "I don't like the dark chocolate and graham combination."
Mary: "This would be good dipped in milk."

Fizzy Strawberry Lances--strawberry flavoured gummy straw covered in sour sugar
Kate: "I love these. The fruit flavour is good."
Pamela: "Sweeter than the ones in America."
Mary: "I feel like I'm getting a cavity."
Sara: "Better than Sour Punch Straws back home."
Rachael: "These are one of my favourite treats."

Thornton's Caramel Shortcake Bites--bite size millionaire bars (shortcake base, caramel center, topped with chocolate)
Pamela: "Super rich. I'd serve them at a party."
Kate: "I do like that it is almost a butterscotch flavour. And I like the crunch."
Mary: "I don't have anything negative to say about this."
Kate: "I want a Blizzard or McFlurry flavour of this." (All agreed)

Thornton's Fudge Brownies--bite size brownies dipped in chocolate
Pamela: "Delicious! I love that there are no nuts."
Sara: "I wish there were nuts. They are rich enough without them, though."
Kate: "So moist. A bite of diabetes for sure...but worth it."

Fox's Viennese Biscuits--shortbread cookies filled with milk chocolate
Kate: "Like a milano cookie, but not as good. The cookie quality isn't as good."
Mary: "The cookie is really sweet."
Sara: "I love them. I'd eat the whole box."
Pamela: "Reminds me of those cheap Danish cookies you buy in a tin back home."
Rachael: "I like them, but they aren't my favourite."

Caramel Log--caramel wafer biscuit covered in toasted coconut
Mary: "Tastes like a Nutter Butter with coconut."
Sara: "Really good and very messy."
Pamela: "I think this should be called Coconut Log instead of Caramel Log."
Kate: "It tastes like the Carmel Delite/Samoa Girl Scout cookies."
Rachael: "These are amazing!"

Tyrell's Lemon Cupcake Poshcorn--lemon flavoured popcorn
Pamela: "I don't taste any lemon."
Kate: "I like that it is just a hint of lemon. I think they were careful with the lemon because it could easily be too much."
Sara: "It reminds me of kettle corn."
Mary: "The lemon is more of an aftertaste--it is really good with M&Ms. Well, all popcorn is really good with M&Ms."
Rachael: "I love popcorn, especially sweet popcorn. I'd do this again."

Sweet Ginger and Orange Propercorn--ginger and orange flavoured popcorn
Pamela: "It tastes like curry."
Kate: "I don't taste any ginger."
Rachael: "I hate it."

Savory Snacks

Cheddars--cheddar cheese flavoured crackers
Kate: "I like that they don't totally crumble. It makes me wish for Cheeze Its."
Sara: "I would eat these with a piece of cheese on top."
Pamela: "It's okay. I want more cheese flavour."
Rachael: "They taste really buttery, in a good way."

Sour Cream and Chive Pretzels (I disagree with the "classic American" part of this logo. These are wheat and potato pretzels...not something I've seen in America before)
Kate: "I LOVE these!"
Mary: "These would be good with any dip."
Sara: "Oh my gosh, these are so good."
Pamela: "I'm right with Kate."
Rachael: "I'm not crazy about the chive aftertaste, but I love it when I'm actually eating them."

Plantain Crisps with Chilli and Lime
Rachael: "I like them. I will definitely buy these again."
Kate: "I wish they had more heat."
Sara: "I don't like the lime flavour."
Mary: "Just chilli flavoured would be better. Not a dipping chip."
Pamela: "I'd get them."

In summary, Britain offers so many delicious snack foods. We each went around and said what our favourite new food was from the day (we couldn't pick a food we had tried previously). 

Rachael: Caramel Log
Pamela: Thorton's Chocolate Brownie
Kate: Fizzy Strawberry Lances
Mary: Thorton's Chocolate Brownie
Sara: Caramel Log

No comments:

Post a Comment