Friday, February 5, 2016

So You Think You Know Britain Part 7

In America we have TJ Maxx, but in the UK it is called TK Maxx. It is the same store, just a slightly different name. 

Londoners hate pigeons. There are signs in the touristy parts of town reminding people to not feed them, because no self respecting Londoner would feed these nuisances. I had someone ask me why I had vermin on my phone case, referring to the picture of pigeons. 

Some homes actually use this type of key for a main lock, which I never saw used back home. I only know the American English term for it (a skeleton key) but I'm not sure what they are called in England (they probably just call it a key). To me it looks like the key they would use in The Secret Garden, not an everyday flat key. 

Waldo is called Wally here! The Where's Wally? book series originated in the UK so Wally is the original name but has different local names for international versions. I never thought of Waldo as local to North America, but what do I know? 

Leave it to the Brits to make everyday items look fancy. The red mailboxes here are much more decorative than the blue ones back home. This middle photo is a dog waste bin in Regent's Park, and the last photo is of a police call box that is no longer in use. 

When I think of pie, I think of apple, lemon meringue, or even pecan. But these pie dishes are intended for a savoury pie like steak and ale, chicken and ham, or mushroom and leeks. That's not to say that they don't like desserts here, they just call them puddings instead. 

The national minimum wage in the UK varies depending on a person's age. I was disappointed that it is currently only £6.70 per hour (under $10) for workers over 21, especially considering London is one of the most expensive cities in the world. In the US, the minimum wage is $7.25 but some larger cities have raised it due to the higher living costs.

I'm always impressed by how much money you can have in just coins in the UK and Europe. In the US, if you have a pocket full of coins it may only be worth $5 at the most. Any guesses as to how much this handful of coins is worth in US dollars? Answer next week in the comments section. 

After many road trips through America, I can say that the cheapest food is usually at a grocery store. I assumed it was the same here, but as you can see below, the can of soda purchased at a small convenient store was only 65 pence, but the same can costs 71 pence at the grocery store. I know it is only a difference of 6p, but it still took me off guard!

6 comments:

  1. Approaching 50 pounds?
    Margo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding "Londoners hate pigeons." Excuse me, but, I think that Mary Poppins would be appalled by the Londoner's hardline against pigeon feeding. If the minimum wage for the "little old bird woman" would typically be £6.70/hour working at, say, the Coke bottling and distribution center, she would need to supplement her income by selling seed at St. Paul’s to pay the rent. I feel that it is the DUTY of all Londoners (and tourists) to support her with a mere tuppence-a-bag.

    However, if the Brits insist upon being "pigeon-ist," then perhaps they create a Minister of Pigeon control that could hire displaced laborers such the old bird women and replace her bird seed inventory with tiny Pigeon Taser Guns (non-lethal). This would provide revenue and a new means of entertainment for locals and tourists. The stunned birds could then be collected by re-trained out-of-work bird seed producers and smuggled into ... North Korea. Oops, didn't mean to get all "political." Sorry Rachel!

    Also, if the Londoners really want to see a “vermin” problem, they should come to the US and see our English Starling infestation.

    Hugs from Omaha,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to your visit this summer, Sharon! In some parts of the UK they use birds of prey to keep pigeon populations low since it is seen as a more natural way. But I think you have some pretty clever ideas of managing the issue ;)

      Delete
  3. The total amount in coins in the photo is £55 or about $80. Each coin was worth £2 so it adds up quickly. I'm so impressed at how close your guess was, Margo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry that I didn't get my guess in there but I kept converting everything to Icekandic krona for some odd reason and came out in the trillions. I am just too confused for global travel. :). Happy Valentine's Day Rachel

    ReplyDelete