Sunday, January 11, 2015

A Spectacular Taste of India

This week a few of Warren's Omaha coworkers were in town and we were able to go to dinner with them twice. Friday night we went to this Michelin star Indian restaurant called Rasoi. It was in a residential neighbourhood near Sloane Square.

Below is a photo of Omahans Brett, Carly, me, Warren, and Robert. There were others in our dinner group from Chicago and New York but they arrived after we took this photo. We were such a large group we had our own room and the decor was really interesting. 


We all ordered the 7 course tasting menu and I was able to get a photo of each course. The first course was a crab lolly, crab chutney-mustard caviar with lime-coconut soup. Both items in this course were really good but the soup was my favourite. It was a bit spicy but delicious! 

The second course was banana wrapped mustard tilapia (it is difficult to see because the photo is so dark) and asparagus couscous. The sauce in the middle of the plate is a saffron sauce. 

The third course was spice grilled foie gras, wild mushroom naan (not pictured), lemon grass crusted foie gras coins, and green apple chutney. The dark sauce on the right was a balsamic sauce and it was probably my favourite part of this dish. I also liked the apple chutney and it was interesting to try foie gras. 

The fourth course was tomato-olive chicken, white tomato makhni, and coriander-spring onion khichdi (a rice dish). I really liked this entire course. The rice was amazing and I really liked the sauce with the chicken. 

The fifth course was champagne-rose petal sorbet with rose marmalade. I've never been a big fan of any food with rose in it so this wasn't my favourite course. 

The sixth course (and the main dish) was smoke cloud-herbed lamb rack and mustard mash. It had rogan josh sauce with stilton lamb tikki. They brought all of our dishes in with this smoke filled lid on top. They removed all the lids at the same time and all the smoke came out which was an amazing sight! I'm not sure how they did it but it was a really cool effect. 

Below is a photo of our lamb and mustard mash after the lid was removed. This was my favourite out of all seven courses. Everything was delicious but the sauce was really incredible!

The final course was a pistachio gelatine dessert with a dark chocolate truffle on top. It also included a caramelised hazelnut and a dessert made of white chocolate, pineapple, and coconut. This was probably my least favourite of all the courses. I think this restaurant really excels at their savoury dishes.

Overall, this was probably the best restaurant I've ever been to and it is an amazing place to go for any special occasion. I'm so glad I was able to go and spend the evening with familiar faces from back home and enjoy this wonderful meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment