Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Queen's English as a Second Language Part 10

Wahey--an exclamation to show delight possibly like "yahoo." Pronounced wuh-HEY!

Toilet cubicle--toilet stall

Get caught out--caught unprepared in a difficult situation, as in "I got caught out by the rain this afternoon." 

Hundreds and Thousands--sprinkles, as in "I'd like a cupcake with hundreds and thousands, please." The name most likely comes from the fact that there are so many that they are innumerable. I will say that they are the harder type of sprinkles, not the soft ones. Also, notice two jars down that if you order ice cream with fudge on top you will be surprised to get pieces of hard fudge and not the warm chocolate sauce. I learned that the hard way. 

Muster point--meeting point, as in "Make sure everyone knows the emergency muster point." We use the term "muster" in the US but mostly to say "muster up the courage" to do something.

Right--real, as in "that guy was a right jerk!"

School leaver--someone about to finish secondary/high school. Early school leaver can mean someone who dropped out of school and didn't finish. It seems that the term "dropout" is also used here but "school leaver" sounds much nicer in my opinion. 

Bin--to throw away, as in "I'll bin this later when I get a chance." I know I've mentioned that a bin is a trash can before, but this seems like a bit of a different definition. In the US we use the term "trash" as a verb in the same manner. 

Blooming--used to add emphasis, as in "London is blooming expensive!" This is almost exclusively pronounced "bloomin."

Speak soon--talk to you later, as in "Okay, speak soon, bye." Of course, these are completely interchangeable but you will almost exclusively hear Americans say, "talk to you later" before hanging up the phone whereas Brits say, "speak soon."

And now a short note about pronunciation. These next two photos would never work in the US. This first one is making a play on words with the term "has been" but in the US that is pronounced "has bin" instead of "has been." 

And I'm assuming this sign below is meant to rhyme but there is no way this rhymes with American pronunciation because we pronounce it "fit-er" and "peet-uh" whereas here...I have no idea how it is pronounced here. I can't make the rhyme work in my head.  

3 comments:

  1. Brits pronounce it 'pi-da' with a long 'i' like the sound in 'itch' so it's can't get FIIIDA than a chicken with a PIIIDA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it, thanks! I saw the episode of GBBO where they made pitas but even after hearing them say it over and over again I still couldn't make it work with rhyming with fitter.

      Delete
  2. it is soo cool. u r my role modal!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete