Thursday, October 1, 2015

Brompton Cemetery

Last month, Lisa and I went to the showing of Pan's Labyrinth in Brompton Cemetery. We got there early and walked around the cemetery a bit. The sun was setting and it was really beautiful and peaceful, even though people were flooding in for the movie. 

Brompton Cemetery is one of the oldest garden cemeteries in Britain, dating back to June 1840. The buildings and central path were designed to look like an open air cathedral. 

There are over 35,000 monuments and headstones in Brompton and there have been some 205,000 burials. It was closed for burials from 1952 to 1996 but is currently a working cemetery again. Loads of famous people are buried in Brompton including Dr John Snow (who discovered that cholera is spread by water in 1854) and suffragette Emmeline Pankhurst. 

As for the movie, I really enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth. This was the first time I had seen it and I didn't know much about the plot beforehand. Overall, it was a fun experience even though it was really cold and I couldn't always see the subtitles because people's heads were in the way. 
Outdoor movies are put on every summer so I look forward to doing this again next year. I really like how involved people are with events like these in London. It makes it possible to participate in some really interesting things!

1 comment: