Monday, September 22, 2014

Maida Vale

We live on the outskirts of an area called Maida Vale and today I walked down to the main street in Maida Vale. 



The main street is quite small but has some nice speciality shops. One shop is a fruit and veg store called Clifton Greens. It was a lot bigger than what I was expecting for a store that sells nothing but fruit and veg. They had a great selection and the prices weren't unreasonable. 



There is also an organic butcher shop called Sheepdrove Organic Farm. 

They have a wide range of sausages in addition to their regular meats. Pork cumberland sausages are really popular here. We have been eating them with breakfast almost every day since we moved to our flat. Here is the list of sausages and some cheeses they had posted outside the shop for all the foodies. 

I've noticed how well taken care of most public spaces are here. There are loads of displays of flowers on public streets and roads. I found a couple of examples of this on my walk today. First is a typical hanging pot of flowers you see all around the city. We have these just outside our building on the main road. 

Just to be sure you can tell how big these are, I took a closer picture. I can't tell you how many times I've told Warren I'm sure it is raining and then realize I'm standing under one of these that has recently been watered. 

Another example that I found is this green space in the middle of a roundabout. It has the same flowers repeating three times so it looks the same from each entrance to the roundabout. 


I also went in to the Maida Vale library which may actually be closer to me than the one I have been going to in Paddington.


The Maida Vale library is a really cool looking building and is larger than the one in Paddington. But I realized one feature of the Paddington library that I really like is that the children's library is in a separate building. The Maida Vale library was super loud with loads of kids and strollers. They even had a separate Quiet Room for people to sit and read or use their computers.


Since libraries here charge you to send books to different library locations I think I will be utilizing all the libraries within walking distance to get my books. This one in Maida Vale had a very nice selection of travel books so I'm sure I'll be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment