Thursday, April 23, 2015

PopUps and More

I may have mentioned before that London has some amazing food. Here is a compilation of some amazing food I've had in the last few weeks. 

Lisa and Cierra recommended the cronuts from Dum Dum Donutterie at the Boxpark Pop Up Mall in Shoreditch. 

They had several different kinds of cronuts (a cross between a croissant and a doughnut) including strawberries and cream, zebra, chocolate and hazelnut, cocounut, almond and pistachio, and apple cinnamon. 

I tried the Peter Andre's Yum Yum Dum Dum which was filled with Dulce de Leche creme. I have no idea why it is named after Peter Andre, a singer and reality tv star well known in the UK, but it was amazing! I also got the apple cinnamon cronut for Warren to try, but we agreed the Peter Andre was far superior. 

One food item I really miss is bagels. The ones you find in the grocery store here just aren't the same as ones from Einstein Brothers or Brueggers back home. When I heard about the famous "beigel" place in Brick Lane, I knew it would be right up my alley. 

I love any kind of place that really only sells one thing and has a line out the door. Add on the fact that a bagel with cream cheese is only £1 and they are open 24 hours a day, and this place becomes magical. 

I will say that Beigel Bake is a poor substitute for bagels from the US but it will definitely get me by for the next year or so. It tasted more like a roll and cream cheese isn't quite the same here. But this will do. 

Easter weekend there was a fried food pop up. They were frying over 100 items (except butter, which is a staple at American state fairs) including: cheese, snickers, doughnuts, cakes, muffins, and an entire leg of lamb on Easter Sunday. 

Lisa and I tried the fried cheese and the Cadbury creme egg. The cheese was amazing because you really can't go wrong with frying cheese. The Cadbury creme egg really should have been amazing but they used a "scream" egg which meant it was from Halloween. It definitely tasted old and the chocolate didn't melt right. 

Inside the food hall at Selfridges there are some amazing food places. I read about their salt beef sandwiches and ventured out to try one with my friend Suzette. We tried it with the rosemary focaccia bread and American mustard (English mustard is a bit strong for us). It was delicious! But it was so salty our tongues hurt afterwards. 

Lucky for us there is a St John's Bakery just a few steps away and we were able to get custard doughnuts to balance out all the salt. The custard filling in these doughnuts is some of the best custard I've ever had. The doughnut part is okay on its own but it really just acts as a vessel for more custard. 

It isn't often that I go to a proper restaurant since there is so much amazing street food in London. But a few weeks ago Warren and I went to Honest Burger in Notting Hill. 

There are loads of great burger places in London and Honest Burger did not disappoint. The burgers and rosemary fries  were delicious. I'd put Honest Burger above Patty & Bun but below Meat Market and Bleeker Street in the ranking of my favourite burgers in London. 

And since Notting Hill is just a short walk away I'm sure we will be back again. 

2 comments:

  1. Wondering if you've tried Gourmet Burger Kitchen. We go to the one on Westbourne Grove WAY too often.

    ReplyDelete