Tuesday, April 7, 2015

St James Church

I've walked by St James Church more times than I know but have never had the desire to stop in. There is typically a strange market outside the church with antiques and a booth where you can get a belt made while you wait. Not really my kind of thing.

But I happened to catch a glimpse of the ceiling one night a few months ago when I was shopping on Jermyn Street with my sister and brother-in-law. A few weeks ago I made a point to go in after finishing some errands on Regent Street. 

St James Church is absolutely beautiful and very welcoming. I love detailed ceilings and the one inside this church did not disappoint. 


You can tell that St James Church has seen better days and is in need of some repair work.



I thought I had seen all it had to offer until I turned around and saw the amazing organ on the back wall. 

Whilst sitting in the church pew I heard the distinct sound of snoring but had no idea where it was coming from. But as I was leaving I saw this sign that gives specifications as to where people are allowed to sleep inside the church. 
There were about three people sleeping or reading newspapers in these church pews. I love how welcoming St James appears to be to the homeless, especially because this part of town seems to have a lot more homelessness than others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment