Friday, April 17, 2015

Sweeney Todd

Last week I had the amazing experience of going to see Sweeney Todd starring Emma Thompson and Bryn Terfel. With only 13 performances the tickets sold out quickly. I had barely moved here when tickets went on sale so I was so excited when my friend Cierra told me she had a spare ticket to the show!

Sweeney Todd was a production through the English National Opera and was performed at The Coliseum near Trafalgar Square. 

The building was absolutely beautiful inside and out. 

The stage was set up with a music stand for each performer. They came out in really fancy attire (not costumes) and started singing from their books. I was really disappointed because I was hoping for more drama and acting rather than just the singing. 

A few lines into the first song Sweeney Todd (Bryn Terfel) threw his book to the side and Mrs Lovett (Emma Thompson) threw her music stand. Then every one joined in trashing the stage including the potted plants, the piano, and their own clothes. They added scenery that looked like graffiti you find on modern day London streets (you can see it a bit in the photo below). 

It was really clever how they acted with very few props and they would even take things from the orchestra as props. One time Mrs Lovett (Emma Thompson) yelled at the bass player to get up so she could use his stool. She was a scene stealer every time she was on the stage. One of the funniest parts was watching her exit the presence of the judge trying to curtsy the whole time. 
I had an absolutely fabulous time and I am so glad to have such amazing friends to invite me along. The singing was amazing (especially Bryn Terfel, a renowned opera singer) and the acting was incredible. 

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I'm jealous!! Sweeney Todd is one of my favorite musicals. And to see it with Emma Thompson AND Bryn Terfel?! Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete