Thursday, February 5, 2015

Achieving the Impossible Statue

My favourite sculpture in London so far is called "Dunamis" and is located at Achilles Way, Park Lane. I see it often from the bus and yesterday I finally went to see it up close. 
The statue symbolises human struggle to achieve excellence, pushing boundaries to make the impossible possible. Even on the plaque at the statue it says, "Achieving the Impossible". I think that is why I like it so much. It is such an imaginative way to show someone achieving an impossible thing: a man lifting up an elephant with one hand by the trunk. Makes anything else seem rather simple in comparison!

During my attempt to get to the island in the middle of the busy intersection near Hyde Park Corner, I saw a bit of irony. Just getting over to the statue seemed a bit impossible! I took the pedestrian subway but the exit for the island where the statue is located was locked. 

I ended up crossing to the side of the London Hilton Hotel and just running across the street as fast as I could during a lull in traffic. But it was worth it to see it up close and get some good photos. I will still be admiring it from the bus as I go past for a long time to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment