Monday, February 9, 2015

Theatre and Pub Food

Two weeks ago I went with some friends to see the play, The Grand Tour, at the Finborough Theatre in Fulham. The theatre was above a pub called Finborough Arms. There was a football match that night so the pub was incredibly full and it was really difficult to get through the crowd to the theatre entrance.

The theatre was quite small as you can see in the photo below. They did a great job using the space they had even with different scenery. 

After the show we met up in the Finborough Arms with our friend, Laurel (centre in the photo below), who was in the play. She did a wonderful job!

Earlier that day my friend, Suzette, and I went to the Soane Museum. It is inside the former house of Sir John Soane, a famous architect in the 1800s. His collection includes important works of art and antiquities, architectural drawings, an alabaster sarcophagus, historical architecture models, as well as examples of furniture and decorative arts. There were so many things to look at in such a small space it made me a bit claustrophobic. I am always impressed that so many museums here are free, this one included.

Later on that week I met up with my friend, Kate, for lunch at The Queen's Arms near Gloucester (pronounced "Glahster") Road.  

The pub was really charming inside and out. We got there before the lunch rush but by the time we left we were sharing our table and conversations with the party next to us. 

This was my first time eating at a pub so I was caught off guard by the fact that you go to the bar to order your food. 

Kate and I both had the fish and chips with mushy peas. I'm sure I've mentioned my love of mushy peas before but in case I haven't...I love mushy peas! These weren't the best mushy peas I've had (that honour goes to the Fish and Chip Shoppe in Islington) but they were still pretty good. Mushy peas are peas that are soaked in bicarbonate soda (aka baking soda) overnight and then simmered with sugar and salt until it reaches a thick soup-like texture. 

Warren has been out of town a lot for work lately so it is really nice to have great friends to spend time with during the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment