Monday, July 27, 2015

Great British Sunday Roast

On Sundays throughout the UK, expect to see pubs and restaurants packed with diners eating Sunday Roast. This tradition has been documented since the 1600s and is even the inspiration for the nickname "Beefeaters" for the Yeoman of the Guard (you can see Beefeaters at the Tower of London). 

Sunday Roast typically consists of a cut of meat (lamb, beef, or pork), roasted potatoes with a crisp outside, roasted vegetables, and Yorkshire pudding. Yorkshire pudding is made from eggs, flour, and milk and is often served with gravy with this type of meal. It is not sweet as I assumed it would be by the name. 

We went out for Sunday Roast most recently with my friend Heather. Warren and Heather tried the pork with apple (shown above) and I tried the lamb (my usual dish) at The Pig and Butcher in Islington. Both dishes were incredible!

The desserts were also delicious. We tried a variety of desserts since there were three of us for dinner. We tried the grilled peaches with ice cream...amazing. Warren and Heather's favourite by far. 

My favourite was the creme brûlée rice pudding with raspberry sorbet. I'm a huge fan of rice pudding and a huge fan of creme brûlée. I see no downside to this dessert. 

We also tried the Eton Mess, a traditional pudding in England. It includes layers of strawberries, cream, and meringue. It is similar to a trifle and can be served with various summer fruits with strawberry being the most typical. It was also delicious. 
I love the tradition of Sunday Roast in England. It is a fun and delicious way to spend a Sunday with friends. The Pig and Butcher is my favourite so far and I am looking for any excuse to go back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment