Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Museums

Yesterday my friend Kate and I toured Dennis Severs' House, a museum set up to look like the background of a 19th century painting. Visitors tour the house in silence and it is set up to look like the family members just left the room that you are entering. There are chairs knocked over, dinner plates half eaten, and the candles are still lit. I'm glad we visited but I'm not sure how often I will be recommending this unique museum. 

I went inside the Natural History Museum for the first time when my friends Danielle and Ron were here. I've walked past the outside of this beautiful building many times and was excited to confirm that the inside is just as amazing.

Inside the Hintze Hall stands Dippy, the cast of the Diplodocus skeleton found in Wyoming in 1898. King Edward VII saw a sketch of it while visiting the man who purchased the bones, Andrew Carnegie, who then made a cast of it for the British Museum (now the Natural History Museum). 
Dippy's head originally pointed downwards with the tail resting on the ground, but in the 1960s the neck was raised to a horizontal position and the tail was repositioned to reflect new research on the dinosaur. 

I loved these little carved monkeys that were along some of the columns in Hintze Hall.  

I really liked how many birds were shown in the case in the photo below. They were very colourful and I thought it was an interesting way to display them. 

I went to the Wellcome Museum when my mom was here to see the Forensics exhibit. This museum focuses mostly on human and animal health and is free to the public, like a lot of museums in London. 

No photography was allowed inside the exhibit (and I actually followed the guideline this time). The rooms were set up taking you through different aspects of the investigation: the crime scene, morgue, laboratory, the search, and ended with the courtroom. I initially went because my mom and Warren were interested in it but I ended up really enjoying myself and I felt like I learned a lot (especially about autopsies and the morgue). 

No comments:

Post a Comment