Wednesday, July 1, 2015

York

Last month during my mom's visit we took a day trip to York. The weather was overcast and rainy but we still managed to have a great time in this historic city. We started off at Clifford's Tower, where in 1190 an angry anti-Jewish mob forced 150 Jews to be locked inside the tower and the victims chose to die at the hands of each other rather than be killed or renounce their faith. That tower was actually destroyed during the riots and the current tower was built in its place. 

Next we headed to the Merchant Adventurers' Hall and toured the inside to keep out of the downpour. It was built between 1357 and 1361 and was the guildhall that controlled all foreign trade in and out of York until 1830. 

It is one of the largest timber-framed buildings still standing in the UK and is still used regularly for meetings by the Merchant Adventurers. The roof of the hall is held together only with wooden pegs. 

The main attraction of this adorable town is the York Minster. The title "minster" was given to churches established during the Anglo-Saxon period as missionary teaching churches but is now only an honorary title.

The York Minster is the largest medieval cathedral in all of Northern Europe. Construction began in 1220 and was finished in 1480 so the cathedral encompasses several major stages of Gothic architecture. 

The Five Sisters Window has five lancets each almost 50 feet high and is the minster's oldest complete window dating from 1250.

The 15th-century choir screen depicts the 15 kings from William I to Henry VI. The cathedral has suffered from several fires throughout its existence and the organ was damaged heavily in the fire of 1829 and again in 1984. 

The minster was built on the site of a former Roman basilica. This statue marks the site where Constantine the Great was proclaimed emperor in AD 306 after the death of his father. 

York is surrounded by the original Roman city walls and medieval gates. Monk Bar is the most preserved medieval gate in York and still has a working portcullis (vertical opening gate). 

The Shambles is a cobbled lane lined with 15th-century Tudor buildings. It is too narrow for cars so it is a nice pedestrian shopping area. It is the most visited street in Europe and gives a glimpse of what a medieval street may have looked like (although I assume it had fewer souvenir shops). 

I came to York the first time while on holiday in 2011 where we ate at this amazing restaurant called Akbar's. It was the best Indian food I'd ever had. Since then I've always wanted to go back to see if it was as good as I'd remembered. Let me assure you...it was. My mom and I split chicken korma and naan. Both were amazing. Now I want to return to York just for more Indian food. 
York is one of my favourite of the small towns in England (smaller than London, that is). It has interesting historic sites and delicious food. I'm glad I was able to go there with my mom for her last day trip in England during her visit. 

1 comment:

  1. The naan is HUGE! And I love naan....A York trip sounds divine, especially if it involves great indian food.

    ReplyDelete