Monday, August 17, 2015

Queen's English as a Second Language Part 9

Tickety Boo--in good order or fine, as in "How are your classes going? Is everything tickety boo?" I wasn't sure if I'd hear this now since it is old fashioned (you hear it said in Call the Midwife) but a friend of mine has a professor who still says it. 

Rubber--eraser, as in "a good mum makes sure her children pack a rubber in their pencil case." This one really caught me off guard because in American English, a rubber is another name for a condom. Let the double entendres begin!

Choc ice--ice cream bar (typically a rectangle of vanilla covered with thin chocolate), as in "If you eat your vegetables you can have a choc ice after dinner." 

Loads--lots, as in "I've had loads of fun" or "We have loads of jammy dodgers in the cupboard." 

Stuff--a bit harsher than the word "forget" but not quite as harsh as a curse word. But definitely used to express anger. As in "They ran out of Harry Potter tickets. Stuff them!"

Prezzy--present (I think this is actually an Australian word), as in "You'd better bring me a prezzy from Paris!"

Hoarding--a billboard or barrier over a construction site, as in "I wonder what they are working on behind this hoarding." 

Chin Chin--cheers (but only used when drinking), as in "Here's to our trip to Rome. Chin Chin!" It comes from the sound of the glasses clinking. 

I found another restaurant with some cockney rhyming slang written out. I couldn't find examples for all of them, but here are the definitions. 

Hampstead Heath--teeth, as in "Better put me hampsteads in."
Scotch Eggs--legs, as in "Blimey, did you see the Scotches on her?" (I got this from a book, I didn't write it)
Swannie River--liver
Pie and Liquer--vicar
Stop and Go--snow
Skin and Blister--sister, as in "She's my skin and blister." 

No comments:

Post a Comment