Monday, August 10, 2015

Sky Garden

The skyscraper at 20 Fenchurch Street (nicknamed The Walkie Talkie due to its shape) offers free tickets to the Sky Garden on the 35th floor.

There is an open terrace that looks out onto the river and has amazing views of tons of London landmarks. The one in the center below is The Shard, the tallest building in the European Union. 

A bunch of London buildings have nicknames based on their shape. Below left is The Leadenhall Building (aka The Cheese Grater) and to the right is 30 St Mary Axe (aka The Gherkin). 

I've been to the Sky Garden twice now, once with my mom and once with a group of friends. When I was there with my mom we saw window washers cleaning the exterior of The Leadenhall Building. I'm not afraid of heights but being up that high with only a rope and harness would be too much for me to handle.

A foggy view of London and the Thames. To the right by the horizon you can see the top of the London Eye, a giant, slow-moving ferris wheel located across from the Houses of Parliament. 

From another side of the terrace there is a great view of Tower Bridge and the Tower of London. 

Here I am with Pamela and Mary during our visit back in March. With free tickets to this beautiful view, Sky Garden often books up quickly. But it is absolutely worth seeing if you can get tickets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment