Wednesday, August 19, 2015

So You Think You Know Britain Part 5

Sharp items (including steak knives) can't be sold to someone under the age of 18 no matter what store. This was at a stationary store but the same applies at hardware stores, grocery stores, IKEA, etc.

One store I miss from America is Target, where you can get just about anything you need under one roof. In London lightbulbs are sold at a hardware store, envelopes at a stationers, soap at a health/beauty store, and milk at a grocery store. The only way I can get them all at once is to have them delivered to my door from Ocado. 

Salad cream is often used on sandwiches and instead of mayonnaise in potato and egg salad. It has the consistency of mayonnaise and a hint of the taste of salad dressing. The only description close to describing it is if you made ranch dressing with mayonnaise. 

Mint is often served with lamb but I don't think Americans eat lamb as often as the English. So seeing mint jelly in a supermarket is something unique to me. 

There are so many more flavours of mayonnaise available in England. The British eat mayonnaise on their french fries and restaurants often have their own specialty version. My favourite is the baconnaise with sweet potato fries at Gourmet Burger Kitchen. 

I'm sure this happens a lot of places but I hear a lot of people complain about having spotty mobile phone service in their flat. I saw this lady trying to get reception out her window. 

I was surprised to see that it is common that a blowdry and style is not included in a typical women's haircut here. You often have to pay more if you don't to leave with wet hair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment