Thursday, November 13, 2014

A Street Food Feast

Our friend Dave introduced us to these caramel wafer bars. I love a good wafer cookie (not like the ones they sell in the US) and these had a great mix of crunchy wafer and chewy caramel. They sell them in multi-packs at Tesco so now we have five in our cupboard!

I love sparkling fruit juices so I had to try this rhubarb and apple one! It was really interesting. I would get it again but Warren said he prefers plain apple. 

I decided to give Crosstown Doughnuts another try even though I wasn't crazy about the banana and salted caramel one when we tried it a few weeks ago.

Here is their beautiful display of the available doughnuts. They had raspberry jam filled, banana with salted caramel, coffee custard, berry compote with peanut butter filling, autumn crumble, and creme brûlée. 

I got the creme brûlée and glaze ring. My friend Pamela tried the banana salted caramel and the raspberry jam doughnuts. Still not my favourite doughnuts. We both decided that the creme brûlée was the definite winner of the day. They put a sugar glaze on the top and use a kitchen torch to make it harden just like actual creme brûlée which gave it a nice sugary crunch.

Pamela and I also tried Grill My Cheese in Leather Lane Market. 

I got the Baby Got Mac with barbecue sauce, pulled pork, mac and cheese, and more cheese! It was super good. I would have never thought to put pulled pork and barbecue sauce on a grilled cheese sandwich but it was well good!

Here they are making our sandwiches. 



We saw this at Marks and Spencer grocery store. It is an individual portion of wine in a sealed plastic wine glass. I have never seen anything like that back in the US!

 Warren's cousin recommended that we try Ben's Cookies. I stopped by last week when I was out running errands and it started raining. Being from Nebraska it is still not in my nature to bring an umbrella with me when I leave for the day so I took shelter at Ben's Cookies. 

I tried the cranberry white chocolate cookie. It was delicious! The chocolate is really good. Even though the cookie wasn't warm the chocolate was still soft. It didn't harden as the cookie cooled, which made it really good! I thought their menu was interesting. They don't have a set price based on which cookie you get. You pay by the weight of your cookie. 

Today I met up with Pamela at the Gherkin building for their street food market at lunchtime. I tried a pork souvlaki at The Grilling Greek. Typically I'm not a huge fan of Mediterranean food but this was really good! My hands still smell like onions but it was totally worth it. 

Below is a photo of the Grilling Greek's food truck. It took a long time for them to make the food so there was quite a bit of confusion and congestion around the truck.

We topped off our lunch with my favourite London street food. You Doughnut! I got the salted caramel, sprinkles, and marshmallow sundae because it was so amazing last time. At first they thought they had run out of salted caramel sauce (*gasp*) but then she found one! The other option was maple syrup which I don't think would have the same effect. This one was so amazing. 

This isn't food related, but at the Gherkin they have a lego replica of the building which I thought was pretty cool. I have always thought of the Gherkin as being more greenish than black and grey, but what do I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment