Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Please Sir, I Want Some More

A few weekends ago my friend, Lisa, and I went to a new popup that only sells porridge. 

I ordered the maple syrup, bacon, and poached egg porridge. It was delicious! The bacon was more like American bacon (or as they call it here, "streaky bacon") but really thick. The yolk from the poached egg made the porridge even better, too. It was a really great combination of sweet and savoury. 

Lisa got the dark chocolate, raspberry, and lime porridge. Neither one of us was too certain about the lime in that mix but it was also really good. I thought it was interesting how the cafe used different kinds of oats depending on what they were going for with the other ingredients. 

I liked that the popup had a minimalist feel to it but I hope they do well enough that they open an actual restaurant with more seating. It was pretty crowded the Saturday morning we were there. 

Near the restaurant there was some really great graffiti. So we walked around the neighbourhood (from about Aldgate station to Highbury and Islington) to find more street art. 


I loved this one of Kim Jong Un mixed with Andy Warhol's Marilyn Monroe painting. 

Here is Lisa with this graffiti that had a really great colour combination.

We were there just a few days after Leonard Nimoy's passing. Even though I'm not a big Star Trek fan I still really appreciated this graffiti featuring Spock. 

 We came across this one of a crying Jackie Kennedy. There is a whole series of these called "Pure Evil". It was cool to see a graffiti version. 

2 comments:

  1. Have you been to the neighborhood that has art all over and very hipster. It's where banksy does most of his artwork. Love some of his pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see some Banksy stuff. A lot of it got painted over pretty quickly. There is a Banksy walking tour...I'll put it on the list for when you come visit!

      Delete