Sunday, March 29, 2015

Saatchi Gallery

A few weeks ago my friends Cierra and Lisa invited me to come along to the Saatchi Gallery with them. I am not a big fan of modern art but I went along anyway. I complained most of the time we were there but I still had fun taking photos of the displays. 

The exhibit currently on display is called Pangaea II: new African and Latin American art. It features sculpture, painting, installation, and photography from 19 emerging artists from Africa and Latin America. 

My favourite exhibit was a room full of oil. It smelled terrible and when I saw it I didn't get it at first because the oil was so still and almost looked like a mirror. But something about it was really interesting and slightly disturbing. 



As with most museum shops in London, the Saatchi Gallery had a really cool shop with loads of things I would actually love to buy. This painting of Queen Elizabeth (part of the Pure Evil paintings that I mentioned in an earlier post) was really great. If only I had an extra £3,000 lying around. 

Another cool piece for sale was this "word UP" neon sign. I think it would look really great in our flat. 


Here are Lisa and Cierra with one of the more colourful paintings in the exhibit.


Even though I am making a mocking face in this next photo I kind of liked the painting. Not the greatest I've ever seen but it has an interesting perspective.



This next photo is of Cierra in a blank corner of the gallery, but I feel it represents how I sometimes feel when I look at modern art. Like the artist is just messing with me.

At one point during the day I said, "Why are there so many people here? I don't get it!" Cierra said, "This is actually a really famous gallery, Rachael." I'm sure others would have gotten a lot more out of the Saatchi Gallery than I did but it was still a fun place to go with some friends.

1 comment:

  1. omgosh I need to go here! How have I not gone here yet?? btw, today was awesome... we must do more fun adventuring soon :D

    ReplyDelete