Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Attendant

Last week my friend, Mary, set up an afternoon coffee at this Victorian gentleman's underground toilet turned coffee shop called The Attendant.



Built in 1890, the toilet was closed in the 1960s and the space went unused for more than fifty years. 

The former office of the bathroom attendant was turned into a small kitchen and the original porcelain urinals were turned into a coffee bench (see photo below). The seating is green to match the original tile work throughout. 

Here are my friends Mary, Pamela, and Kate as we waited for our orders. 


They had several different types of hot chocolate on the menu and I ordered one that was more milky and not as chocolately. Unfortunately it didn't taste very good but it sure was beautiful. 

I loved that they had bite size versions of some of their desserts so I didn't have to commit to just one. I tried the salted caramel brownie and a lemon coconut bar. Both were so good that I would have a hard time deciding which one to get again next time!

I love that the hand dryers and water tanks are now part of the decor of this coffee shop. Warren doubted the authenticity of this hand dryer, but I looked it up and the hand dryer was invented in 1948 so this can still fit the timeline. 

I love a good play on words so I had to take a photo of their loyalty card. 

I had such a good time at The Attendant. I absolutely love repurposed buildings and especially one with such a unique back story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment