Friday, March 27, 2015

Queen's English as a Second Language Part 6

Jackets--baked potato, as in "I love jackets with cheese and beans."

Elevenses--a drink and a small amount to eat between breakfast and lunch, as in "I'm feeling peckish. I'm ready for my elevenses."

Tonnes--tons (used interchangeably with the US word)


Desiccated coconut--the British equivalent to shredded coconut

Juicy bits--pulp, as in "I don't mind juicy bits in orange juice."

Bicarbonate of Soda--Baking Soda, as in "Why doesn't this grocery store sell baking soda? Oh oops, because it's called bicarbonate of soda here."

Cornflour--cornstarch

Tosser--an insult similar to "jerk" in the United States but more harsh. It is often used to describe someone who likes to show off or brag excessively or someone who is completely useless.

Cuppa--a cup of tea, as in "Do you fancy a cuppa?"

Pinny--an apron worn for cooking, as in "My gran's pinny has giant flowers on it."

Stuck in--to start doing something enthusiastically. Not to be confused with "tuck in" which refers to eating with enthusiasm.

Bunting--a type of festive decoration typically with colorful triangles or flags (this may also be a term in the US but I hear it more often in the United Kingdom)

Snog--to make out, as in "I can't believe how many people snog in public."

Spot of bother--to get into some trouble. I'm not sure if people actually say this but it sounds super British!
This next one is about grammar in the UK. Here they say, "at weekends" or "at the weekends" instead of "on the weekends". Also, it is pronounced weeKEND instead of WEEkend. 

2 comments:

  1. Although I haven't commented before, I have been reading your blog with fascination for a few months! It has been amazing to track your transition, and although I am from the UK this post was really helpful for me as it helps me when I am confused when reading American recipes and the like.

    Hope you are still enjoying the UK!

    Much love,

    Abbi Tea Seeks Biscuit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abbi,

      I am so touched by your comments! I started this blog to let my family know everything was going well in the UK, but to see that it has grown to reach a wider audience really surprised and amazed me. I am so excited to hear that you have enjoyed it.

      Delete