Thursday, October 2, 2014

Afternoon Tea

Yesterday I was invited to afternoon tea by some of the other wives of Warren's coworkers on secondment in London. We went to the Library Lounge inside the Marriott hotel in the County Hall building. 


This is the County Hall building. The restaurant where we had tea is on the bottom right hand side of the building in this photo. 


The lion statue just outside the building. 

When I approached the building I wondered how it could be so posh since it is on this super busy road and really noisy. But as you enter from the street you walk through this little alcove before actually getting to the hotel and it was really quiet. 

The view from our table was incredible!

I ordered an herbal rooibos tea with orange and cinnamon. It was the best tea I've ever had. 

This orange tapioca was our starter. I really liked it, but I also really love any kind of tapioca pudding let alone a really fancy one with a jelly orange on top!

Our tray of treats for tea time. 

The top level had four kinds of sweets for each of us. One was a mint chocolate macaron (sadly, not as good as the macaron from the Cabbages and Frocks market in Marylebone), another was a salted caramel that tasted like it had some orange flavouring to it. I don't remember what the other two were but the one with the flower on it was my least favourite. The tall chocolate layered dessert was really good. It was chocolate and hazelnut and even had a little bit of gold leaf on top. 

The bottom level has five kinds of sandwiches for each person. The sandwiches were salmon, egg salad, cucumber, ham, and roast beef with horseradish sauce. Every one of them was delicious!

The middle of the tray had two kinds of scones for each person. This next photo is of the savoury scone with a cheese and chive spread. 

This was the sweet scone with clotted cream and jam. It was the best jam I have ever tasted! I want to buy a whole jar!

A closer look at some of the desserts. 

Below is a photo of the restaurant. All the shelves are filled with old books and it reminded me of the libraries we toured in Dublin. 



1 comment: